Tallinn Maraton bring about extensive traffic changes in the capital. Road users in the center of the city, Põhja-Tallinn and Kalamaja area are advised to avoid those parts of the city on the evening of the 8th and the whole day on the 9th of September, if possible.
From 7th-9th of September 2018, Estonia’s largest national sporting event, Tallinn Maraton are taking place, with the first-time participation of more than 22,000 people from more than 60 countries.
The safe organizing of an event of this magnitude will bring about significant changes in the capital’s traffic, which will inevitably lead to traffic jams and complete standstills. The traffic is closed or severely disturbed on the race route and in the vicinity of the race, so when driving near the race route, people should be patient and take into account the time delays or pick an alternative route to reach their destination. Drivers must carefully monitor traffic signs and observe the signals and recommendations of traffic regulators.
Area residents, road users, and pedestrians will be asked to familiarize themselves with the traffic information and traffic patterns early on. If possible, it is recommended to plan all related activities for the off-times and to be very attentive on competition days.
IMPORTANT INFO FOR ROAD USERS DURING THE EVENT:
Friday, 7th of September, 2018
19:00 NIKE NOORTEJOOKS 5 km
On Friday, 7th of September, at 19:00, a short-term traffic suspension will be enforced to start the Nike Noortejooks, in the direction towards the town on Kaarli Boulevard, on Toompea Street and Falgi Road. Traffic will be opened immediately after the start and when runners have passed.
In order to let the runners pass, traffic is suspended on the following street sections:
· From Kaarli Avenue towards the city from 18:55 to 19:05
· Toompea and Falgi St. from 19:00 to 19:10
· Nunne St. (near the Baltic station) 19:10-19:30
· People should be attentive near Shnelli Park and Tornide Square light traffic roads and in the Old Town of Tallinn between 19:00 and 20:00.
Saturday, September 8th, 2018
17:00 SÜGISJOOKS 10km
On Saturday, September 8th, there are significant changes in traffic in the center of the city and Kalamaja in order to organize the ten-kilometer long Sügisjooks.
· The traffic on the Freedom Square side of Kaarli Blvd. is closed from 16:55 and 17:15 for the start of the 10km run. Public transport is waiting on the Estonian Boulevard.
· Pärnu Highway from Viru Square to the Estonian Boulevard is closed on all lanes from 16:45 to 17:15. Public transport has been suspended for a short time until runners have passed.
· Tram traffic is stopped for lines 1 and 2 from 16:30 to 19:30
· Tram traffic on routes 3 and 4 on Pärnu road section is stopped from 16:45 to 17:15
· Mere Blvd. and Rannamäe Road are closed from 16:45 to 19:10
· Suurtüki Street is closed for traffic from 16:55 to 17:30.
· Traffic is closed or severely disturbed between 17 and 19 in Põhja-Tallinn (Kopli and Tööstuse Streets) and near Kalamaja (Kalaranna, Kalasadama and Kultuurikatel).
· During the event, the exit route from Kalamaja will be Niine St.-Põhja Blvd.-Suurtüki St.-Toompuiestee (except from 16:55 to 17:30).
· Suur Ranavärav is closed from 16:45 to 19:10. Traffic is directed to the seaside fork of the road.
· The Old Town (Viru Street, Vana turg, Kuninga Street, Harju Street) is closed from 17:30 to 19:30.
Sunday, September 9, 2018
09:00 MARATON 42.2km
10:45 POOLMARATON 21.1 km
In order to organize the marathon and the half-marathon on Sunday, 9th of September, that start at 10.45 am, traffic changes will come into effect, in Rocca al Mare, Põhja-Tallinn, and the city center
· Kaarli Blvd. and the area surrounding Freedom Square is closed for the starts of the 21km half-marathon and 42km marathon from 08:55-09:10 and 10:40-11:00, public transport will be suspended until the runners have passed
· Pärnu Highway from Viru Square to the Estonian Blvd. is closed on all lanes from 08:45 to 09:10 and from 10:40-11:00. Public transport has been suspended for a short time until runners have passed
· Mere Blvd. and Rannamäe Road are closed from 08:30 to 16:00
· Tram traffic on lines 1 and 2 is suspended from 08:00 to 16:00
· Traffic in Kalamaja (near Kalaranna, Kalasadama, and Kultuurikatel) is temporarily suspended or disturbed on Sunday morning between 08:50 to 09:50.
· During the event, on Sunday, the Kalamaja area can be reached through the direction of Põhja Blvd.-Ahtri (except from 08:50 to 09:30)
· Kopli St. and Põhja Blvd. (Soo and Kopli section) are closed from 09:10 to 15:45
· The traffic on Telliskivi, Ristiku and Heina St. is closed or severely disturbed from 09:15 to 11:30
· Toompuiestee is closed for traffic for a short period from 10:45 to 11:20
· Kolde pst is closed from 09:25 to 11:55
· The traffic of Sõle St. and Kolde Blvd. is severely disturbed from 09:30 to 11:45. TRAFFIC JAM!
· Pelguranna St. is closed from 09:30 to 13:30
· Lahepea St. and Soodi St. are closed from 09:35 to 11:10
· Paldiski Road’s direction exiting the city is closed from Lahepea St. to the Estonian Open Air Museum from 09:30 to 11:30 City buses are allowed to pass
· Vabaõhumuuseumi Road from Lillevälja Road to Lõuka Street is closed from 09:40 to 11:40
· Seaside light traffic roads from the Open Air Museum to the Stroomi beach are closed for road users from 09:30 to 13:30
· Traffic is closed in Põhja-Tallinn (Kopliranna, Ankru, Sepa, Maleva streets) from 10:15 to 14:15
· Paljassaare Road is closed from 10:30 to 15:15
· The Old Town (Viru St., Vana turg, Kuninga and Harju St.) is closed from 08:00 to 16:00
· The traffic of the seaport will be directed to Narva Road and via Petrooleum, Jõe, and Ahtri streets.
· Traffic may be disturbed near the running route for the installation and removal of traffic control devices.
Traffic during the event is organized by licensed regulators. The run is enforced by the police, security guards and track judges. Residents, emergency vehicles and the transport of local authorities are allowed to pass in accordance with the situation, as assessed by the regulators and the decisions and alerts made.
In case of additional traffic issues, those in need can contact the specialists by e-mail: [email protected] or by phone: +372 5019111
Event traffic and downloadable traffic schemes: www.jooks.ee
See the program